[LAD] zita1 RIP

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Thu Sep 5 21:38:20 UTC 2013

On Thursday 05 September 2013 17:30:26 Fons Adriaensen did opine:

> On Thu, Sep 05, 2013 at 01:53:33PM -0700, J. Liles wrote:
> > Another one bites the dust... Should've run Non on it instead.
> > Seriously though, it's a shame. Fortunately,  there are still quite a
> > few motherboards out there with at least one PCI slot. I trust you
> > had everything backed up!
>
> Almost... Lost two evenings of work on AP algorithms, but I
> have some 30 pages of scribbled notes about that, and the
> (Python) code itself wasn't that complicated, I'm rewriting
> it right now. Still, should learn to backup every day.
>
> Ciao,

Let amanda do it in the middle of the night Fons.  I've been using it,
using virtual tapes on a terrabyte hard drive now, but with real tape since
about 1999.  Real tape is a maintenance headache, if you have smartctl
watching the drives, they'll warn you well enough in advance that you can
replace the drive ahead of a total failure.  Made use of that once since I
moved it to vtapes, about 7 years back.  It works over the network, so my
milling machine and lathe control boxes are backed up nightly too.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
My web page: <http://gene.homelinux.net:6309/gene> should be up!

Ben, why didn't you tell me?