[LAD] Aeolus

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Thu Sep 19 15:50:01 UTC 2013

On 2013-09-19 17:18, hermann meyer wrote:
> Am 19.09.2013 16:50, schrieb IOhannes m zmoelnig:
>>
>> On 2013-09-19 05:31, hermann meyer wrote:
>>> I'm sad to hear that. :-( Please don't let you lead from the
>>> things you didn't like, let you lead from the things you like
>>> instead. I guess then it's necessary to let you know that we
>>> use /as well/ a fork of your work, the zita-convolver library,
>>> in the guitarix project. But we leave your copyright untouched,
>>> and the fork will only come in use, when the user set a
>>> explicit compile flag. We didn't promote it, or force the fork.
>>> Ordinary your original code is in use. We do it to use ffmpeg
>>> instead fftw3 FFT, which perform better on ARM devices.
>> but this sounds like the perfect opportunity to not do a simple
>> fork, but to send patches to upstream so fons' aeolus could
>> support both fftw3 and ffmpeg FFTs. it might be a win-win
>> situation, where not only more than just the original aeolus
>> users can profit from fons' work (because you use his code) but
>> also more than just your users can profit from your work (because
>> you changes are included into upstream aeolus).
>>
> Sorry, you miss-match aeolus and zita-convolver here.

ah yeah, sorry. pleas do s/aeolus/zita-convolver/g in my answer.

> As well, we didn't "add" ffmpeg support to zita-convolver, we
> replace fftw3 with ffmpeg, and only use this under special
> circumstances (ARM support),

i'm not sure what you mean.
zita-convolver depends on FFTW3 for doing the FFTs.
if you "replace fftw3 with ffmpeg", you create modifications to
zita-convolves to not use fftw3 anymore (in some special
circumstances), and instead use ffmpeg's FFT (whether as a library or
statically compiled in).

in any case, this seems to be a substantial change to some parts of
zita-convolver, so you should definitely add your copyright to the
files you modified (substantially).

> we didn't distribute it as "zita-convolver library"

so?
it seems that you did distribute it "in some form" (else what are we
talking about?).

MuseScore doesn't distribute a disfigured version of "Aeolus" in order
to pile praise upon themselves and/or to denounce fons. they
distribute "MuseScore" which comes bundled with a version of Aeolus
that integrates into their system.
similar goes for Maurizio: he has a project called "oscAeolus" which
makes it quite clear that it is a derivative of Aeolus (and not the
real thing itself).

> No useful patch is available.

i didn't say that contributing is easy.
more often than not it requires a lot of work and interaction with
upstream until you have prepared a patch that can be accepted.

what i did say is that you should make a useful patch available.

i'd love to see a zita-reverb that performs "ideally" on all platforms
(and that unfortunately includes ARM-systems by now)

fgmasdr
IOhannes