[LAD] forking (was Re: Aeolus)

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Thu Sep 19 21:05:19 UTC 2013

On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 06:01:42PM +0200, R. Mattes wrote:

> Yes, and why shouldn't it? I read it as a marker to show which
> files have been changed.

There is world of difference (also legally) between

   "Copyright (c) xxxxxx'

and

   "Additional code/modifications by xxxxx"

> Well, I would take it as a _marker_

Like a dog pissing on a lamppost, or some juvenile spraying
his tags on someone else's property ?

> And of course, for every update of
> Aeolus I have to hand-patch my local changes into uptream insteda of
> a simple 'git merge' (or the hg/svn equivalent).

Of course. If you don't bother to let me known what changes
you require, even if they may be of interest to others, why
should I care ?

> Au contraire - FOSS is all about sharing.

That is one aspect of it, and one that by definition should
go both ways.

> Sometimes the tone on the mailing list (and comments about the
> required quality of coding) make such enquiries seem daunting ... ;-)

And that is entirely intentional. What do you expect ? Try
and go to your whatever - baker, sports team, bar keeper...
and tell them you can instantly improve what they do. Maybe
they'll listen. But chances are 99.9% that they will tell you
to learn your trade first and then come back.

Ciao,

--
FA