[LAD] forking (was Re: Aeolus)

Fred Gleason fredg at paravelsystems.com
Thu Sep 19 21:46:42 UTC 2013

On Sep 19, 2013, at 17:22 03, J. Liles wrote:

> Fons, I've been around the free-software block a time or two and I have to say I have never *once* encountered the latter form of notation. Adding a Copyright (c) line with dates is the standard practice, but (obviously?) only to files that have actually been altered significantly. Anyone interested (even those weasely lawyers) can run a diff against the two codebases to see what was actually changed.

FWIW, I have come across both notations in the wild, and have even done (been guilty of?) both practices myself.  Personally, I would certainly never add a copyright notice to a file to which I had made no substantive change, but I have done so on files to which I have made significant modifications (being careful to preserve the original attributions and copyright notice(s) in the process).

So it would seem that this may be a gray area.  My own inclination therefore would be to cut the "offenders" some slack.  We were all new at this at one point or another -- it'd be a shame to see one's work closed down over something like this.

Cheers!

|  A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many  |
|  bad measures.                                                          |
|                                         -- Daniel Webster               |