[LAD] forking (was Re: Aeolus)

J. Liles malnourite at gmail.com
Fri Sep 20 16:04:30 UTC 2013

On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 2:40 AM, Gordon JC Pearce <gordonjcp at gjcp.net>wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 09:05:19PM +0000, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> >
> > And that is entirely intentional. What do you expect ? Try
> > and go to your whatever - baker, sports team, bar keeper...
> > and tell them you can instantly improve what they do. Maybe
> > they'll listen. But chances are 99.9% that they will tell you
> > to learn your trade first and then come back.
>
> That's the height of arrogance right there, Fons.  Are you really *that*
> good?

And this is beside the point. It doesn't matter how good Fons is. There
will always be some user who needs 110% of what his program does, simply
because their needs/environment differ in some way. The only perfect
program is one that *perfectly meets the needs of the users*, and with a
diverse userbase, one can see how unlikely it is to achieve such
perfection. This seems like the root of the problem to me. I'm sure Fons
thinks Aeolus is perfect because it meets his own needs--that doesn't mean
it's perfect from anyone else's perspective. And this is the whole point of
free-software. It allows everyone to (in theory) develop a version of
everything that is perfectly suited to their own individual needs (and
probably close enough to perfect to a lot of other people as well).