[LAD] forking (was Re: Aeolus)

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Fri Sep 20 20:24:12 UTC 2013

On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 10:04:57PM +0200, Felix Homann wrote:

> Am 20.09.2013 21:56 schrieb "Fons Adriaensen" <fons at linuxaudio.org>:
> >
> > On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 09:52:06PM +0200, Felix Homann wrote:
> >
> > > Would you mind Maurizio Gavioli to play around with your code in
> private?
> >
> > No.
> >
> > > don't think so. So why do you mind him sharing his 'playground'?
> >
> > Why do you think I should feel the same about both ?
> >

> Because of the things I have written and you didn't comment on :-)

You mean this:

> You might argue that he better not published his toying around. But then
> again you possibly forced him to do so: Just imagine he gave a binary to
> someone. Then by the license *you* have chosen for your code *he* is
> *obliged* to share his code - no matter how good or worth publishing it is.

I did not force him to anything. Giving a binary to anyone is *his*
decision, not mine. And all that the original license obliges him to
do in that case is to give the sources the same person.

> A 'fork' on github is a convenient way to comply with GPL licenses.

'Convenient' is the key word here. Some people only think
of what's 'convenient' to them, everything else is too much
for their simple minds.

Ciao,

--
FA