[LAD] forking (was Re: Aeolus)

J. Liles malnourite at gmail.com
Fri Sep 20 22:00:25 UTC 2013

On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 2:28 PM, Fons Adriaensen <fons at linuxaudio.org>wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 01:50:41PM -0700, J. Liles wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 1:24 PM, Fons Adriaensen <fons at linuxaudio.org
> >wrote:
> >
> > > 'Convenient' is the key word here. Some people only think
> > > of what's 'convenient' to them, everything else is too much
> > > for their simple minds.
> > >

> > Fons, you have to admit that with comments like that, you're making it
> > rather hard for those of us trying to be on your side in this matter.
>
> You don't have to be 'on my side'.
>
> > Help me understand how this is an evolved, logical response,
>
> One of the designed-in qualities of Aeolus is that it respects,
> as much as is possible within the context of a software emulation,
> the traditions of organ building. Which are very conservative,
> anti-technology and whatever you want, like it or not.
>
> Any changes that violate that principle, no matter how convenient
> to the average user, destroy that quality and consequently harm my
> interests as an author. Maybe you find that difficult to understand,
> but that's how it is. Maybe the free software community fails to
> understand that, in which case I feel completely justified not to
> contribute to it.
>
> Ciao,

I get that you have a vision for Aeolus. Just don't understand why you
think that someone else having a different one is a problem. People come to
me asking when I'm going to implement some monolithic or bloated feature in
e.g. Non Timeline and I roll my eyes, thinking to my self, "haven't they
missed the whole point?". But just because I think it's a bad idea doesn't
mean I'm going to try (or that I could succeed in) stopping them. They
'destroy the quality' of nothing. You still have your pristine and perfect
orginal version intact. If you don't like their changes, don't merge them,
it's as simple as that.