[LAD] forking (was Re: Aeolus)

John Rigg ladev6 at jrigg.co.uk
Sat Sep 21 08:52:50 UTC 2013

On Sat, Sep 21, 2013 at 07:52:02AM +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> It's completely impossible to be on Fons site. When Fons has such a
> super-mind, why did he chose the GPL? Those simple-minded guy who forked
> Aeolus might have made a little mistake, but doesn't offend the licence.

Ralf, please stop this straw man argument about the GPL. Fons is understandably
irritated by someone forking his project without prior discussion. It's a
question of etiquette, not licence terms, as has been pointed out repeatedly
in this thread.

It isn't difficult to find out that Aeolus is currently maintained; all it
takes is a look at the README in the sources, which contains release dates.
The 2007 copyright date which I think was mentioned earlier (I'm not going to
re-read this whole sorry thread to confirm that) is the copyright date for
GPL 3, not Aeolus. Again, this stuff is not difficult to check.

Another point: copyright and licence are separate things. It is possible to
violate a copyright while still complying with the GPL. Adding one's own
copyright notice to someone else's original work without making substantive
changes to the work may be such a violation (IANAL, so that's speculation).

John