[LAD] [LAU] Ardour MIDI tracer

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Sat Aug 16 20:13:03 UTC 2014

On Sat, 16 Aug 2014, Paul Davis wrote:

> The JACK MIDI API delivers and acccepts normalized MIDI data ONLY.
>
> No running status. No "clever" merging or filtering. Bytes in... bytes out.

That makes perfect sense. That way the application designer can expect all
MIDI events to be the same way. How about MIDI in from physical MIDI ports
that has running status? Are those then converted to normalized events?

That does then ask the question if Ardour's midi mapping for control
surfaces can accept multi-event commands.

I can see that dealing with controller data has some way to go. I would
like to help, but am not a c++ programer. Not great at c for that matter.
I can see that MIDI/OSC control is tied to the keyboard interface and if
there is no keyboard shortcut for a function then MIDI cannot trigger it
either. There are relatively few extras in the Control section such as
banks. Channel select seems to have some extra stuff too. Adding the mixer
strip to the editor means tha select pops the right channel in there.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net