[LAD] [LAU] Ardour MIDI tracer

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Sun Aug 17 02:48:34 UTC 2014

On Sat, 16 Aug 2014, Paul Davis wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 16, 2014 at 4:13 PM, Len Ovens <len at ovenwerks.net> wrote:
>
>       I can see that dealing with controller data has some way to go.
>
> the problems with controllers come from the almost absurdly varied ways that h/w
> manufacturers have chosen to use them.

Yes, I have gone through Ardour's midi maps and read as many other
documents as I have had time for. They are all different.

>       that matter. I can see that MIDI/OSC control is tied to the keyboard
>       interface and if there is no keyboard shortcut for a function then
>       MIDI cannot trigger it either.
>
> not true. any action defined in Ardour can be bound to OSC. there is no linkage
> between the keyboard shortcuts and OSC.

As always, with any one answer there are 5 new questions, (I hope less) I
was basing my statement on:
http://manual.ardour.org/using-control-surfaces/midi-binding-maps/
 	"The best place to look for the (long) list of how to address each item is
 	in your keybindings file, which will contain lines that look like this: "

Is there any relation between the list of available actions keys can be
bound to and the OSC actions at all? Is the MIDI interface more closely
related to one than the other?

I found an OSC monitor, but can't seem to get it to see ardour... I am
pretty sure I am doing something wrong.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net