[LAD] [LAU] Ardour MIDI tracer

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Mon Aug 18 08:39:14 UTC 2014

On Sun, 2014-08-17 at 08:24 -0700, Len Ovens wrote:
On Sun, 17 Aug 2014, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> > On Sat, 2014-08-16 at 09:45 -0700, Len Ovens wrote:
> >> A quick thought on fineness of control. It is true that 127 levels
> >> tends to "zipper". However, 127 levels is more than enough for static
> >> levels.
> >
> > I disagree. I never heard zipper noise, when I fade in or out or when
> > using MIDI panning. Usually those steps aren't audible when fading or
> > panning, but I often missed steps for static levels. Speaking for synth
> > from the 80th and 90th, for the panning synth usually didn't use all 128
> > values, but 128 steps usually are used for the volume. I don't remember
> > audible steps when fading, but I remember that there were not enough
> > steps for optimal mixing. YMMV!
>
> I don't know if it matters, but was that a linear fade or log?

I don't know?

On Sun, 2014-08-17 at 16:15 +0000, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> Suppose you have *real* faders which have a range of 127 mm.
> That's not far from a typical size on a pro mixer.
> Would you ever adjust them by half a millimeter ?

Good point!

As I already pointed out, I never noticed zipper noise when sending
volume control to a synth, but sometimes 128 steps (and IIRC all 128
steps were used) were not enough. Perhaps it was neither linear nor log,
but bad programmed usage of those steps. I remember that for panning
often less then 10 steps were provided, I dislike/d this a lot. IIRC
panning sometimes didn't effect a hold note, it was used for the next
played note, so at least this can't be compared to a digital mixer.

--
http://iknowwhereyourcatlives.com/