[LAD] [LAU] Ardour MIDI tracer

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Mon Aug 18 09:12:26 UTC 2014

On Mon, 2014-08-18 at 11:00 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Sun, 2014-08-17 at 17:44 -0700, Len Ovens wrote:
> > On a DAW, we sort of do this already by recording using the fader (and
> > audio device gain) for trim and then mixing down using the fader for fine
> > tuning. However, as I commented earlier, sometimes a harsh effect can
> > introduce the need to:
> > - re-record the track
> > - add a gain section after the effect(s) before the fader. This may be as
> > simple as using the output level the effect already has.
>
> Indeed, digital mixing needs a learning curve that isn't needed for
> analog mixing. An analog mixer provides a trim pot and an EQ, but no
> effects for each channel, for effects there are inserts and pre and post
> fader aux sends. Most people don't own analog mixers with automation.
> Users of Linux DAWs should by default add and activate (even if it's
> bypassed) FIL-plugin [1] for each channel. And care a little bit about
> old school audio mixing. E.g what's the mind of using a compressor for
> each channel and fading in and out and in and out during a song?
>
> All you need is FIL-plugins parametric EQ post effects, pre fader, not
                                                         ^^^^ for
Qtractor the fader for synth plugins is pre everything ;), that's bad
design, but I guess not the audio stream is controlled, but the synth
volume.

For an anlog mixer this would be: Not using the fader of the mixer, but
the synth volume for mixing, so you'll get 100% parasitic noise from
effects, even if the synth volume is very low.

Anyway, you want to build a remote control for digital mixers and can't
care about wrong usage of good designed digital mixers and you can't
care about bad designed digital mixers.

--
http://iknowwhereyourcatlives.com/