[LAD] Half-OT: Fader mapping - was - Ardour MIDI tracer

John Rigg ladev8 at jrigg.co.uk
Thu Aug 21 19:06:13 UTC 2014

On Thu, Aug 21, 2014 at 09:01:03AM -0700, Len Ovens wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Aug 2014, John Rigg wrote:
> >The '70s Neve mentioned earlier would likely have used Penny & Giles faders
> >with a roughly logarithmic taper (no VCAs). Since this type of fader is made
>
> Ok, I have to ask this somewhere, it may as well be here :) Which
> log?

The P+G faders (generally regarded as the best) are close to log10
characteristic, ie. -20dB at about half travel. There's a PDF data sheet
here:

http://www.pennyandgiles.com/Products/Audio-Faders-Video-Controllers/Linear-Manual-Fader-PGF8000.aspx

The Panel Graduations/Slots diagrams on page 3 show the taper characteristic.

John