[LAD] Half-OT: Fader mapping - was - Ardour MIDI tracer

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sat Aug 23 16:30:35 UTC 2014

On Sat, 2014-08-23 at 08:56 -0400, Grekim Jennings wrote:
> > On Sat, 2014-08-23 at 07:56 -0400, Grekim Jennings wrote:
> > > I have a Presonus Audiobox which can sound fine for an acoustic
> > > guitar, but throw a drum at it and it is automatically over full
> > > scale and unusable.
> >
> > Actually you cant blame a preamp, if the microphone is missing a PAD
> > switch.
>
> A pad would solve the problem, but it's hardly a requirement of a good
> microphone and a purist would probably say it's a bad idea to add that
> to a mic.  It's just not a professional preamp so I didn't have high
> expectations.

Some high class microphones for good reasons add a PAD switch. Some of
the best microphones can't accommodate all signal levels, IOW usually
the microphone's amp can't handle the input from the capsule. If the
microphone has got no PAD switch, then you need to back off the
microphone from the drums or what ever sound source does produce the
loudness. Indeed, if the microphones amp can handle the signal level,
using it's PAD switch isn't the best idea, OTOH inaudible more noise and
what ever else could be caused by the microphone's PAD switch is better
than not being able to use the microphone, even if not the mic's amp
should be the culprit. A mic-preamp should be able to handle the input
from all microphones.

On Sat, 2014-08-23 at 10:00 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:>
> That is not something I have seen in a mike, but one really should carry
> an adapter to allow the mike to be fed into a line input.

Neuman and Brauner microphones provide it. Not all microphones need it.

> But my lifelong familiarity with tinnitus started in that quonset hut.

Audio engineers should live in cities. At the moment I'm able to hear my
tinnitus, perhaps it's louder, because I've got a cold, but usually the
noise from the city is that loud, that I can't hear my tinnitus.

> And I haven't heard a cricket in 50 some years.

I'm still able to hear crickets. Perhaps your occupational disease is
more serious. Anyway, many audio engineers suffer from tinnitus, but
usually they don't suffer from being cloth-eared, because they did
something stupid, as many other, even young people do. I'm not sure if
the audio engineer's occupational disease tinnitus is caused by audio
signals, tension (mental and/or of the musculature) could cause this
too.

Regards,
Ralf