[LAD] More-OT: Pickups <-Fader mapping <- Ardour MIDI tracer

Tim E. Real termtech at rogers.com
Sun Aug 24 23:31:33 UTC 2014

On August 24, 2014 10:23:28 PM Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 24, 2014 at 07:19:11AM -0700, Len Ovens wrote:
> > Certaimly this is an extreme example and while a pickup is nice for
> > performing, I normally use a mic for this guitar for recording.
>
> Still some piezo pickups can produce a really nice sound when used
> on a good instrument, in particular for the more jazzy genres.
> I've been amazed by this many times.

Good vibrations. Sorry for the OT steering...
My acoustic has one built in. Beautiful bright sound.
Piezos are so bright they usually require EQ-ing at the
 pickup preamp stage. And a pickup preamp IS required.

Didn't know much about the mechanism 'till I studied
 piezo/magnetic differences the other day on the 'net.
Now I know my acoustic a little better.
Piezo = bright(er than) single-coil sound + no magnetic hum. Yay.
I like those new piezo clamp-to-head tuners. Some show all strings at once.

Say, optical pickups, anyone?
http://willcoxguitars.com/custom-splash
The products use this:
http://lightwave-systems.com

I noticed that the strings seem to be covered by the optical block(s)
 some distance out from the bridge.
This might explain why there doesn't seem to be any electric guitars
 shown, only bass and electro-acoustic, because we would need
 close-to-the-bridge palm muting, although the ElectroAcoustic model
 may be able to get a good sound, after all optical sound is completely
 different and neither acoustic nor electric.

Tim.