[LAD] Half-OT: Fader mapping - was - Ardour MIDI tracer

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Mon Aug 25 08:41:44 UTC 2014

On Mon, 2014-08-25 at 08:13 +0000, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 25, 2014 at 09:02:34AM +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 2014-08-24 at 15:25 +0000, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> >
> > > Piezos have a capacitive impedance, together with the preamp resistive
> > > input impedance this forms a first order highpass filter. A typical mic
> > > input is around 2 kOhms, this would place the cutoff frequency somewhere
> > > in the high audio range, with 6 dB/oct below that. Could be EQ'd in theory,
> > > but for musical use it's usually better to use a high-Z preamp.
> >
> > Have you tested Guitarix? Hermann claims that Guitarix fix such an
> > issue, if you know how to handle Guitarix.
>
> And in theory it could,

There's to much interaction regarding the dynamic playing done by the
guitar player and the preamplification, unlikely that it make sense
trying to fix it by a digital algorithm. The output of most simulations
usually is without dynamic and add much noise.

>  but I don't think Hermann is advising anyone
> to use Guitarix to fix a technical issue such as this one. For a piezo
> pickup you need the right preamp, either a very high-Z one or a charge
> amplifier. Not to create any 'sound' but just to make it work as intended.
>
> This has nothing at all to do with Guitarix or even tube emulation in
> general, so you better stop whining about it.

Actually I was talking about preamps when using a guitar plugged into a
mixer. Feel free to search the mailing list archive. Hermann recommended
to use Guitarix and started dissing me, when I said that Guitarix can
not provide what has to be done by the right amplification in the first
place. Please don't misrepresent it. Hermann claimed something without
understanding what the discussion was about and he claimed something
that should be provided by Guitarix, that can not be provided. I pointed
out that even plugging in a Boss transistor stompbox between guitar and
mixer (or sound card) sometimes is better to fix the main issue, than
using amp and speaker emulations. Hermann claimed that this isn't true,
Guitarix does the trick, no correct preamp is needed.