[LAD] Ardour "sampler" feature?

James Morris james at jwm-art.net
Tue Aug 26 21:48:12 UTC 2014

On Tue, 26 Aug 2014 12:39:43 -0500
Devin Venable <venable.devin at gmail.com> wrote:

> Maybe I'm missing it, but I don't think such as feature as I'm about
> to describe exists.
>
> I'm making lots of use of the MIDI track functionality.  I find myself
> wanting to take an audio segment, convert it to sample, and then use
> it on a midi track.  I don't believe there is a way to do this
> without the aide of an external sampler program.
>
> My dream feature?  Click on segment, select "convert to sample" and a
> new midi track appears linked to a plugin sampler, ready to play.

I've wanted something similar, a piano-roll type audio track, which
would be geared much less toward hard disk recording, and much more
toward fragments of audio - samples iow. Obviously not really for live
use. I did have a little look into modifying Ardour2 for such use but
only got as far as modifying it to glue audio to beats and bars by
default.

James.