[LAD] io GNU/Linux LiveDVD/USB ... 64-bit iso up :)

Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas pedro.lopez.cabanillas at gmail.com
Wed Jan 1 17:21:59 UTC 2014

On Wednesday 01 January 2014 11:14:12 Paul Davis wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 1, 2014 at 4:26 AM, Ray Rashif <schiv at archaudio.org> wrote:
> > On 1 January 2014 01:25, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> > > And, my main distro isn't Gentoo, there at least is a second distro with

> > > similar policy as Gentoo and inexperienced user can get both Aelus and
> > > linuxsampler :p and it's good this way :).
> >
> > While it may be accessible the fact remains that the license is tainted:
> >
> > Name           : linuxsampler
> > Licenses       : GPL  custom:exception
>
> The simplicity of this classification makes me wonder if Debian, Fedora and
> others will sooner or later have issues with the JACK license.
>
> There is an important difference, which is that we (tried to) give
> recipients *more* rights than the GPL, but I can see that ending badly.

How applying the GPL or the LGPL licenses to different parts of a project at
the same time may become a problem?  What a mess!

I don't think that granting more rights to the licensees would be a problem
with the GPL. That is exactly what the GNU Classpath exception does, and this
package is available on both Fedora and Debian:
http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath/license.html

And a similar exception applies to the Qt LGPL license:
http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-5.1/qtdoc/lgpl.html#digia-qt-lgpl-exception-version-1-1

Some people also think that restrictions based on moral rights may also be
applicable to software licenses, when the author wants to prevent any usage
"prejudicial to his honor or reputation", as stated by Berne Convention 6 bis,
because this treaty is the basis of the international Copyright laws, and
software licenses are based on Copyright.
http://www.law.cornell.edu/treaties/berne/6bis.html

Regards,
Pedro

PD. Happy new year!