[LAD] ardour3 in Debian testing

R. Mattes rm at mh-freiburg.de
Tue Jan 7 21:32:52 UTC 2014

On Tue, 7 Jan 2014 22:06:06 +0100, Adrian Knoth wrote
> On Tue, Jan 07, 2014 at 09:57:25PM +0100, R. Mattes wrote:
>
> > Could someone with deeper insight in the ardour3 package enlighten me:
> > why on earth does ardour3 depend on python-gtk2 and (!sic) python-twisted?
> >
> > Python-twisted is an application framework for internet/event-based
> > applications. Why does ardour3 pull in such a monster framework?
>
> Most likely, because I did it wrong.

No, most likely because of python:Depends in debian/control ;-)

> I've checked the repo, and apparently, I've copied the relevant line
> from the previous ardour2 package and never checked if it was really
> necessary.
>
> Frankly, I don't even know offhand if ardour2 needs it.
>
> So you're saying we can drop it?

Sorry, I started to investigate myself - I think this is caused
by "tools/session_exchange.py" which imports both gtk and twisted.internet.
I've no idea haow useful/neccessary this script is (I tried it but it refused
to accept my ardour sessions).
Looking at the list of files
(http://packages.debian.org/jessie/amd64/ardour3/filelist)
it looks as if the script isn't even included in the debian package. So, maybe
dropping python:Depends would be a good idea.

 Thanks for your work

  RalfD