[LAD] JACK, cgroups and systemd

Dominique Michel dominique.michel at vtxnet.ch
Sun Jan 12 12:17:43 UTC 2014

Recently, I experimented with Debian sid, which use systemd. Systemd
idea is nice, but its implementation is a catastrophe. It is more than
one year I am using the kernel cgroups on gentoo to get rt scheduling
with JACK, that without any trouble.

On Debian, this is just impossible, because whatever I try, systemd
insist to put what it think is good to have into the rt cgroup, which
soon or later result in a complete system freeze with even dead magic
keys. After loosing my time a few days with this, I removed Debian and
installed gentoo instead.

I found the reason here:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/1063354

"Lennart Poettering:

Well, this feature is... completely irrelevant for normal desktop
people.
In fact, I just prepped a patch to systemd to move every service and
every user session into its own cgroup in the 'cpu' hierarchy (in
addition to the group it already creates in the 'systemd' hierarchy)."

Another completely idiotic stuff of this guy.

The point of the cgroups is it is possible to setup them for
whatever use will be made with a computer, and this guy think he have
the insane and pretentious capability to decide for every single user
of the use they will made with their computers, and he is suggesting
users doing something else are abnormal. He must be stopped!

Regards,
Dominique