[LAD] Releasing source code is not enough, I think...

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Tue Jan 21 13:19:25 UTC 2014

On Tuesday 21 January 2014 08:15:53 John Rigg did opine:

> On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 12:40:23PM +0000, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 05:55:04AM +0000, Filipe Coelho wrote:
> > > I think we should stop assuming releasing source code is enough.
> >
> > Enough for what ? Users who don't want to install from source
> > want packages made for the package manager of their distro,
> > which will take care of dependencies etc. You can't expcect a
> > developer to provide such packages for each and every distro.
> > I don't even provide them for the distro I use myself.
>
> I'm inclined to agree with Fons here. There seems to be a growing
> culture of expecting Windows-style hand-holding for free software. In
> the Windows (and Mac) world you pay money for this. I think it's
> unreasonable to expect the same level of support from unpaid
> developers. (If they have the time to do it that's great, but it
> shouldn't be taken for granted).
>
> John

+1 John.  Which is why, as I age, I try to always say thank you when I come
hat in hand asking for help.  At 79 & still counting, I find myself doing
more and more of that.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Required reading:
<http://culturalslagheap.wordpress.com/2014/01/12/elemental/>
Lady Nancy Astor:
	"Winston, if you were my husband, I'd put poison in your coffee."
Winston Churchill:
	"Nancy, if you were my wife, I'd drink it."
         law-abiding citizens.