[LAD] Releasing source code is not enough, I think...

Harry van Haaren harryhaaren at gmail.com
Tue Jan 21 15:44:42 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 3:34 PM, Filipe Coelho <falktx at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 01/21/2014 12:40 PM, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
>> They can learn to do it [compile software, -Harry]. It's not rocket
science.

> I think it's not up to the users to understand how software compilation
works.

I feel this is an important factor in this discussion: there are various
different users: for the purpose of this thread, lets assume two groups of
users, affectionatly named "techie" and "non-techie".
A techie user can (relatively easily) learn to compile software, they have
some *interest* in techie topics, like compiling.
The non-techie user, however, wants to make a new radio hit. They have *NO
interest* in techie: they wish to *use* a software. Without complications.

In light of the two groups of users above, I think it shows that Filipe is
catering for the "non-techie" audience, and allowing them to use software.

On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 3:40 PM, Filipe Coelho <falktx at gmail.com> wrote:
> Most Linux (audio) users used to be developers as well, I don't believe
that's the case anymore.
I'll agree: the "non-techie" group is growing, who wish to use, more than
to "techie".