[LAD] Releasing source code is not enough, I think...

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Tue Jan 21 21:24:03 UTC 2014

On Tue, 2014-01-21 at 22:10 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Tue, 2014-01-21 at 09:01 -1000, Joel Roth wrote:
> > Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> >
> > > AFAIK there are two projects working at a new file
> > > system hierarchy to make it easier to install software, what ever this
> > > means.
> >
> > Which projects do you mean?
> >
> > For a while I fooled around with Gobo Linux[1], around for
> > about a decade, whose developer makes a good technical case
> > for a modified file system hierarchy[2, 3]. It hasn't
> > collected a huge mindshare.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > 1. http://www.gobolinux.org/
> > 2. http://www.gobolinux.org/index.php?page=k5
> > 3. http://www.gobolinux.org/index.php?page=doc/articles/clueless
>
> The problem is that I don't remember it and when I google for it, it
> seems to be that I confused it with something else. IIRC there where
> plans to make it easier to install software independent of dependencies.
> Perhaps a misunderstanding or wrong remembrance. I guess each software
> should get it's own directory, similar to /opt/software_foo.

PS: Sorry too long to read, but those links seem to be one of that
approaches. IIRC the other approach is from the systemd people or
Lennart Poetternig, but I can't find something related when googling,
just funny OT things.

Regards,
Ralf

--
That's something unrelated funny, while OTOH it's not really funny.
https://www.change.org/petitions/lennart-poettering-stop-writing-useless-programs-systemd-journal