[LAD] Releasing source code is not enough, I think...

Dominique Michel dominique.michel at vtxnet.ch
Thu Jan 23 13:20:54 UTC 2014

Le Wed, 22 Jan 2014 16:49:06 -0500,
Fred Gleason <fredg at paravelsystems.com> a écrit :

> On Jan 21, 2014, at 13:10 30, Filipe Coelho <falktx at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > That's why I'm planning to do a small, *developer*-oriented
> > tutorial on how to get the most "generic" binaries possible.
> > Something that can work as widely as possible.
>
> Unfortunately, the ambit of a downstream maintainer is a lot larger
> than just producing a runnable binary.  Just some of the high points:
>
> 1) Do the menu item(s) integrate themselves into the overall tree in
> a way that makes sense given the distro’s overall menu arrangement?

It was the main reason why I begun to use FVWM-Crystal it was a few
years ago. It doesn't care about the files into /etc/xdg which, in most
cases if not all cases, have only a limited support for the freedesktop
additional categories. Instead, it only look for the categories into the
desktop files provided by the applications in /usr/share/applications.

The result is a full support for the additional categories and a menu
that will look the same with any distribution, that out of the box.
Also, it contain a few non in the norm categories for the Audio
category, like Sequencer or Notation, and it have a main Multimedia
category with 3 categories for Audio, AudioVideo and Video.

The last version of yesterday contain a preference editor for its key
modifiers. This is an easy way for fvwm-crystal's bindings to not
collide with software like ardour or emacs.

Dominique