[LAD] Open Source to be or not to be?

hermann meyer brummer- at web.de
Tue Jul 1 10:41:24 UTC 2014

Am 01.07.2014 12:16, schrieb Fons Adriaensen:
> On Tue, Jul 01, 2014 at 09:24:43AM +0200, hermann meyer wrote:
>
>> As a example, we have the jcm800pre, a GCB95 and a baxandall tone
>> control simulation as plugin in guitarix, generated with this
>> toolkit.
> Do you really believe that a Baxandall tone control is in any
> way different from the combination of a standard first order
> LF and an HF 'shelf' equaliser ?
>
> Well, it isn't, the two are mathematically equivalent.
>
> The Baxandall circuit is just a very convenient way to realise such
> filters in analog HW. Its main advantage is that it will provide
> symmetrical (in dB) EQ curves having a decent control law, while
> still using standard linear pots, and that it is fairly tolerant
> of typical component errors. That's all there is to it, it doesn't
> sound different from any first order shelf filter.
>
> Any suggestion that the digital emulation of such a circuit would
> be 'better' than standard digital filters is nonsense and pure
> snake oil.

Haven't say that, nor suggest that. It's just a example, It is just a
other way to go.
And, let me tell you, this way is full of fun.

Have I mention that the toolkit surly include a interface to plot the
results and beside faust code, it could compile ready to run Lv2 and
Gxplugins?

However, this list here is the wrong place to discus that any further,
I just hope that some people here get interested in such a approve
(Tim you are more then welcome to join us),
if, please join us at
  guitarix-developer at lists.sourceforge.net

to discus and eventually help us to get it going.

regards
hermann