[LAD] Streaming AV/midi

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Tue Jul 1 19:34:55 UTC 2014

On Wed, July 2, 2014 5:16 am, drew Roberts wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 11:34 AM, Patrick Shirkey
> <pshirkey at boosthardware.com
>> wrote:
>

>> On Tue, July 1, 2014 10:41 pm, drew Roberts wrote:
>> > On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 5:34 AM, Patrick Shirkey
>> > <pshirkey at boosthardware.com>

>> > IIRC, icecast2 can stream video. Never thought to try midi.
>> >

>> According to the icecast folks the latency and sync for a standard
>> stream
>> can get out to 10 seconds which is outside of my range. I could probably
>> handle upto 2000ms but less than 1000ms is preferable.
>>

> What are you thinking of using to do the "shouting"? IIRC, we were using
> vlc.

For this project I will probably have to build a custom tool that uses
ffmpeg for transcoding. VLC might be a good place to start but the
codebase is pretty large if I have to customise it so it's probably faster
to start from scratch.

> Concerning the sync, if you mean audio with video, what we were doing did
> not require synced audio.

This project probably doesn't require realtime sample accurate sync but
the latency should be within 2000ms between audio and video streams and
also between master/client. Latency should be as low as possible with a
balance between cpuload and bandwidth management.

Has anyone benchmarked realtime transcoding on dual core arm devices with
ffmpeg?

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd