[LAD] Announcement: oschema, oscdoc

Mark D. McCurry mark.d.mccurry at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 02:40:53 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jul 08, 2014 at 06:48:33PM +0200, tom at trellis.ch wrote:
> i would like to announce some tools around OSC.
>
> oschema: a format definition to describe OSC units
> https://github.com/7890/oschema
>
> oscdoc: create HTML documentation from oschema instances
> https://github.com/7890/oscdoc
>
> Basic idea:
> -Having a standardized, machine-readable format to describe an OSC API
> -Derive "stuff" from description, like documentation, code skeletons etc.
> -Let programs use OSC API dynamically by looking at definition

I would certainly have to make use of the toolset in order to really gauge how
well it accomplishes the goal, but IMHO that's a rather basic idea.
Most of the OSC tools that have come up on my radar have run on the assumption
that the API is known a priori or that it is established through some means of
runtime communication.
Providing a nicely serialized API specification would certainly seem to help
with one of OSC's major flaws.

Right now the example seems to be pretty small and it would be nicer to judge it
based on a larger API.
Depending on how well this system can handle enumerated paths, it might be
interesting to see what an exported version of zynaddsubfx's librtosc based API
might look like as interactions via a debugging curses tool have been making
dynamic API queries so far (this would be a much more sizable test/stress case).

(enumerated paths being /foo/bar1/ /foo/bar2/ /foo/bar100/)
There was some reference to patterns, but at first glance they didn't quite look
applicable.

--Mark