[LAD] midi controlers

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Fri Jul 11 22:39:29 UTC 2014

Just looking through the midi messages used by the Mackie and other
controlers. It appears to me that it is designed to be used on it's own
physical midi channel as it uses (up to) all the logical midi channels (1
to 16) and so could not work running through a midi kb for example. It is
just the faders that do this using the pitch control on each channel, all
the switches, lamp signals and encoders are on channel 1 (or 0 if you
like) which would also conflict with some of the older KB like the DX7
which use only channel 1 also. Now obviously, if the controler is a USB
device, it creates it's own midi port anyway. I took a look at Ardour
(cause that is what I use to record) and it has a port dedicated to the
controler (and other things) so that is not a problem.

My question then is do all applications that can be controled by midi have
a dedicated port for control? (well most anyway The non-group of
applications accepts midi control of transport, but not the mixer which
wants midi converted to CV first... making it effectively not controlable
via a control surface without some sort of SW interface to take care of
banks etc.) Hmm, directly controling jack transport might be an idea.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net