[LAD] Open Source to be or not to be?

Neil C Smith neilcsmith.net at googlemail.com
Wed Jun 25 22:13:09 UTC 2014

Hi,

I have to say I'm mostly on Hermann's side of the argument here -

On 25 June 2014 22:10, Fons Adriaensen <fons at linuxaudio.org> wrote:
> ... without respect for the
> original author's intentions and in fact subverting those

in particular I think this is actually one of the most important and
positive features and freedoms of open-source development.

> There's one thing common to the zita-xxxx series (of which you
> know only a small part), and that is that the design of each of those
> apps is not limited to just the DSP code.... All of that is part of what the 'zita' mark is meant
> to represent. ... And then you turn it into a toy for musicians and make it look like a
> 1950s piece of vintage gear. And call that zita-rev while IT IS NOT
> zita-rev, by far.

OTOH you have the right to disown and not have the forked work passed
off as your's.  You could keep your code free while limiting the
rights to use the 'zita' mark to your own work, and could potentially
request the various forks use a different name - it's allowed to be
more explicit with that clause within the GPL too in future should you
be persuaded to keep with that license in other respects.

Best wishes,

Neil

--
Neil C Smith
Artist : Technologist : Adviser

Praxis LIVE - open-source intermedia development - www.praxislive.org
Digital Prisoners - interactive spaces and projections -
www.digitalprisoners.co.uk