[LAD] Experience driven design and Linux Audio

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Wed Oct 1 15:40:12 UTC 2014

On Thu, October 2, 2014 1:01 am, Louigi Verona wrote:
> Discussion often focuses on "thinking for the user" or about users that
> "don't want to learn".
>
> I don't think that this is what the guy in the video was talking about.
> And
> this is certainly not what I mean when talking about "usability" of Linux
> software.

Usability usually requires a designers eye. Most good UX designers spend
almost all their time on design/usability issues. In fact most UX
designers are paid to only deign the UX and they look to developers to
advise on functional viability of their creations. In most cases in a
professional context UX designers will win over developers if there is a
decision to be made between form over function. Developers are usually
left to fill in all the gaps that UX designers have left in the
functionality of their design and In my experience developers are often
considered to be skilled labour while a designer is considered to be a
working artiste or in some way superior.

In open source development most developers are not designers or
particularly visually motivated. The exception being graphics/games
developers and a few very talented people who cover both disciplines with
expert delivery. In Linux Audio Development there is a clear majority of
audio focused developers who prioritise function over form. Considering
that even software like Blender has a major learning curve for the
uninitiated and those guys are expert visually oriented developers it's no
surprise that Audio focused developers are less successful at achieving
visually beautiful and highly polished usability.

IMO, in nearly all LAD applications the developers have tried to achieve
usability with the limited skills/expertise that they have in UX design
and GUI development.

The main problem in this regard is the lack of
interest/motivation/time/resources to make things more usable. The idea
behind open source is that anyone can pitch in but it seems in Linux Audio
Development there are less people pitching in these days than say 10 years
ago and there are more individually run projects

That's seems to be the main reason why many developers choose to use bog
standard gtk/kde to let the user define their own version of usability and
steer clear of visually challenging API's like Cairo/Clutter/OpenGL which
often require as much effort or more to achieve results than just writing
good clean efficient functional and bugfree code.

A way to enhance usability across the board might be to have an "app of
the week" where everyone in the Linux Audio community is encouraged to run
it and provide any feedback they can think of on mass to the LAU list.
That might give developers some incentive to forge ahead with the ideas
presented by the community.

Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd