[LAD] Experience driven design and Linux Audio

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Fri Oct 3 09:41:08 UTC 2014

On Fri, 2014-10-03 at 17:09 +1000, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
> On Fri, October 3, 2014 7:22 am, Len Ovens wrote:
> >
> <snip>
>
> > SHould Linux target those who only see a comodity? WHo are only looking to
> > have what their "idol" uses? Or who want the cheapest one that works? The
> > stuff already out there will be what gets bought. Developing HW with Linux
> > is like developing with any other OS, it requires innovation and lots of
> > support. The linux HW has to have what nothing else does and the something
> > has to be seen as needed. Lets see how the mod duo does.
> >

> I have asked people who already have similar gear about the mod boxes and
> while they are interested in the platform they are put off by the price.
> Until they reach the economies of scale to be price competitive there will
> be a small market. Especially if trying to sell to the existing Linux
> peeps who are generally pretty cheap when it comes to actually parting
> with their own personal cash. Several people have tried to tap the market
> with expensive hardware and had pretty dismal results. However if we look
> at the success of the low end DIY market ex arduino, rasp pi, rockchip,
> allwinner that is a pretty good success story.

Whats wrong with the price? Assumed the hardware should be ok and there
would be a sane selection of high quality effects needed by musicians
(instead of hundreds of music pedals [1]), it isn't expensive.

[1] An irritating slogan, I suspect it would be hard just to name 50
effect pedals, let alone hundreds.