[LAD] AoIP question

Reuben Martin reuben.m at gmail.com
Mon Oct 6 05:55:11 UTC 2014

On Sunday, October 05, 2014 08:47:25 AM Len Ovens wrote:
> but what
> does an "enterprise" switch have over any other switch aside from
> speed? I am sure I am being small minded in my thoughts here. For example,
> I am expecting very little non-audio bandwidth and I am guessing that the
> average home switch does not prioritize any style of packet over another.

"Enterprise" switchs have hardware support for the PTP protocol. The timing of
PTP without hardware support in the switches is not 100% deterministic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PTP_implementations

> I guess I am asking what parts of a switcher are important for audio?

IGMP Snooping built into the switch is very convenient. Otherwise the
multicast audio transport will flood your ports.

-Reuben