[LAD] AoIP question

karl at aspodata.se karl at aspodata.se
Fri Oct 10 22:23:41 UTC 2014

Winfried Ritsch:
> Am Sonntag, 5. Oktober 2014, 23:35:21 schrieb tom at trellis.ch:

> > > Either
> > >

> > > 1. Sync the HW sample rates to an explicit or implicit reference
> > > provided by the network protocol. Requires special audio HW. A few normal
> > > audio interfaces (e.g. some RME cards) would allow to do this as well, but
> > > I know of no software that uses this
> > > capability.
> >
> > Sounds interesting. I asked myself if it would be possible to drive the
> > audio interface clock by the host (not by a wordclock coming from another
> > audio interface which makes the "network" case local again to some
> > degree), i.e. through ticks sent via FW/USB.
> >
> just to add another options and be a wiseacre :
>
> On a microchip dsPIC [1] you can adjust the internal oscillator (RC) (where
> also the sample clock for DA is derived) in a small range of 10%, so it is
> possible to use PTP for sample-exact synchronization (I did do a "soft PLL"
> for a low cost solution of a DA to avoid re-sampling and big buffers). I was
> told on ARMs Oscillator tuning is also possible, and if audiohardware derives
> clocks from it, it can also be tuned and used as soft PLL.

The arm's I used ([b]) have an PLL at the clock input and a few multiplier
and prescalers, so if you have a clock from a PTP tranceiver ([a] have
a clock output of 125MHz scaled down by 2..255). So sync. should be
possible.

According to {b] p.939, they (if they have ethernet) supports PTP directly.

> Anyway there are Chips [2] which can generate sample-clocks (Master-Clock)
> from a PTP signal, so if your audiohardware supports Master-Clock, you can add
> such a chip ;-).
> [1] http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/39700c.pdf page 10
> [2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PTP_implementations#silicon

I only found [a], perhaps another distributer.

//// {another mail}

> http://www.rtnet.org/

Thanks for the link.

Regards,