[LAD] Fwd: Re: How can a LV2 plugin know on what host's MIDI Channel it's on?

Phil CM philcm at gnu.org
Thu Oct 16 17:19:29 UTC 2014

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	Re: [LAD] How can a LV2 plugin know on what host's MIDI
Channel it's on?
Date: 	Thu, 16 Oct 2014 13:16:38 -0400
From: 	Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com>
To: 	Phil CM <philcm at gnu.org>

On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 12:59 PM, Phil CM <philcm at gnu.org
<mailto:philcm at gnu.org>> wrote:

    On 16/10/14 17:15, Paul Davis wrote:

>     On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 11:42 AM, Phil CM <philcm at gnu.org
>     <mailto:philcm at gnu.org>> wrote:
>
>         Is there a way to retrieve this info (and others, ideally)
>         from the host, thus removing the need for a "midi channel"
>         control port?
>

>     I think you're confused. The host doesn't put a plugin on a MIDI
>     channel. It delivers MIDI events to the plugin which might be on
>     any channel.
    But in Qtractor I do have a choice of what MIDI channel (or
    any/omni, for that matter) I'm sending signal to on that particular
    track... So, no? No way for the plugin to retrieve any info from the
    host (I mean specific info, not just instantiated, port enum et al)
    I guess it makes sense since it would introduce a breaking point.
    Sorry, I don't really speak english, I'm just persuaded I do.

That is a host-specific issue. The part of the LV2 specification and the
existing extensions don't describe that functionality. As far as the
plugin is concerned, it just gets MIDI events. If the host is filtering
some of them, the plugin has no way to determine this programmatically.