[LAD] Android's 10 Millisecond Problem

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Thu Apr 16 17:10:57 UTC 2015

On Thu, 16 Apr 2015 09:41:11 -0600, John Hammen wrote:
>interesting article on Android's latency
>
>http://superpowered.com/androidaudiopathlatency/
>
>via Hacker News news.ycombinator.com

Thank you for sharing this.

Assumed Android devices one day should be usable for audio, I wonder if
they suffer from a known iPad issue too. It's true that latency isn't
an issue when using an iPad, but battery charge could become an issue.

I still need to use a stop watch, but I guess after around 5 or 6 hours
and sometimes even after less hours, my iPad 2 turns off. If the iPad
then is plugged to the power supply, it anyway can't be used.
Loss of battery charge by the power consumption of a
DAW/MIDI sequencer  -> Audiobus -> parametric EQ
chain needs more power, than the 10 W power supply does recharge the
battery. IOW for Apple tablet PCs compulsory breaks interrupt creative
work for hours, as soon as the battery needs to be recharged.

Apple devices need much improvement too, not regarding latency,
but regarding the power consumption. They are far away from being
perfect. The OS might be good, but the hardware isn't. I read that
people using the iPad 3 for office work, stopped using them, regarding
the power supply issue.

Is it possible to run an Android device by a power supply, when the
battery is empty?

Regards,
Ralf