[LAD] User eXperience in Linux Audio

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Fri Apr 24 06:51:59 UTC 2015

On Fri, 24 Apr 2015 07:58:09 +0200, Thijs van severen wrote:
>If you are writing a softsynth that will be used by a pilot i guess you
>might want to use this approach
>If you want more people to be able to use it i sugest you dont. ;-)
>All kidding aside i think that Gianfranco nailed it when he was talking
>about target audience

Concerning the GUI matter I absolutely agree with Fons.
As a matter of fact, some eye candy GUIs even add useless knobs and
sockets. That reminds me that I still have to report it as a bug
against an iPad music application, that apart from this issue, is rather
good. An overdrive is called amp and the GUI is an amp, with tubes
behind cooling slots and "line in", "line out" and "aux" sockets. I
expected that the sockets will open Audiobus or something else, but they
are just eye candy. For good reasons you won't find faked functionality
as eye candy in a cockpit and there's no sane reason to overload a GUI
for music production with a carrousel airbrush appeal.

Those GUIs with a carrousel airbrush appeal are not only
confusing, unpractical and unprofessional, they also hurt my eyes.

Btw. professional studio gear has a different design than consumer
hifi gear. Handling hifi gear should be an adventure for the consumer.
Handling studio gear should be self-explaining, clear, ergonomically,
IOW allow a professional workflow. The design should be timelessly
beautiful, pragmatical, perhaps more with a Bauhaus appeal than a
carrousel airbrush appeal.