[LAD] User eXperience in Linux Audio

Thorsten Wilms self at thorstenwilms.com
Fri Apr 24 08:04:36 UTC 2015

On 23.04.2015 21:55, Len Ovens wrote:

> That is why being able to adjust with both horizontal and vertical
> movement is a plus. Take a look at zita-mu1 for an example. It is also
> important to continue watching the position of the mouse when it leaves
> the application window.

Yes. If the linear knob happens to be too close to a corner of the
screen, both part of the vertical and the horizontal range may be out of
screen, though. Changing direction forces you to spend attention instead
of relying on autonomous movement, trained by repetition.

With pointer-based usage, you can allow the pointer to go beyond the
edge. Some 3D application will have the pointer appear on the other
side, as if it traveled through a portal. But with touch, you are out of
luck, have to move the active area and allow the finger to be repositioned.

I think in many cases, horizontal sliders with labels and numerical
values inside the slider area, are the better approach.

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software:
http://thorwil.wordpress.com/