[LAD] GuitarSynth

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Tue Apr 28 17:25:32 UTC 2015

On Tue, 28 Apr 2015 17:10:55 +0200, Gerald wrote:
>Hi Ralf,
>this works pretty good with my lowpass->rectify->aubio pitch detection.
>What I want to work on (once GuitarSynth is ported to DPF) is a
>source-filter analysis (see U Zölzer: DAFX) to extract the spectral
>envelope (timbre) of the guitar. As Zölzer putts it, it is then
>possible to obtain a neutral frequency analysis, that just the
>tones/frequencies without their attenuation due to playing technique.
>This is done simply by dividing the FFT'd input signal by the envelope.
>I think that should be done before the pitch detection. And anyway I
>want to convolve/multiply the envelope with the synths (as an option in
>the GUI). Then GuitarSynth will really be a guitar synth ;)
>Gerald
>
>On 28.04.2015 15:58, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> A simple example, without or even with compressor, play
>>
>> g string - fret 3 and slide to fret 5, hold the tone
>> d string - fret 3 and slide to fret 5, hammer on and pull off fret 7

I only build your software until now, since I don't had/have time to
test it at the moment.

But I'll test latest pull from git ASAP.

At the moment I only can confirm, that I was able to launch this
versions and they showed up in jackd :):

[rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$ ls -hanG /usr/src/GuitarSynth/build/
total 344K
drwxr-xr-x 2 1000 4.0K Apr 25 19:10 .
drwxr-xr-x 4 1000 4.0K Apr 25 10:29 ..
-rwxr-xr-x 1 1000  77K Apr 18 14:39 GuitarSynth2.0a683c4
-rwxr-xr-x 1 1000  77K Apr 19 19:24 GuitarSynth2.9ee232d
-rwxr-xr-x 1 1000  77K Apr 18 21:06 GuitarSynth2.dcd272d
-rwxr-xr-x 1 1000  77K Apr 25 10:32 GuitarSynth2-ge7356fc
​
Did you already release a git version that is able to handle polyphony?

My apologies for not testing it. I promise I'll do ASAP.

Your project is cool, very interesting. I don't like to pay for a hex
pickup that needs to be installed to my vintage guitar and that in
addition needs a stand alone synth to convert to MIDI. I would like
some kind of converter that is able to e.g. use my Oberheim
Matrix-1000, without damaging my guitar. The Matrix-1000 has got a
guitar mode! It's one of my best synth, but I try to use it as less as
possible, since if ever a Curtis/CEM chip should get broken, there's no
chance for me to pay for a spare part.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doug_Curtis