[LAD] audio watermark for av sync

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Fri Jan 23 10:58:27 UTC 2015

Hi,

I found this old thread about watermarking.

http://linux-audio.4202.n7.nabble.com/Looking-for-Audio-Watermarking-Advice-amp-Tools-td37183.html

I have a potential use for watermarking that is entirely above board and
completely within the realms of open source technology while also being
business friendly at the same time.

It's a potential solution to an AV sync issue where there are no other
hardware sync solutions available (BLE, NFC, wifi, etc...)

The host environment has ONLY audio and video hardware installed. In this
situation it has been suggested that watermarking could allow syncing an
audio track located on a mobile device with the main audio stream that is
playing on speakers in the display room.

Obviously the success of this solution is entirely dependant on the
response of the mic->signal processing->output chain. I don't think
Android devices will be viable in this situation ;-)

However I thought it might be interesting for some people here as a
counterpoint to the more sinister use of audio watermarking. The
processing algorithm could be 100% open source.

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd