[LAD] AVB not so dead after all

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Sat Jun 13 20:14:24 UTC 2015

On Sat, 13 Jun 2015, Will Godfrey wrote:

> I don't suppose anyone has written an AVB -> jack module?

https://github.com/audioscience/Open-AVB
Does in fact list both a jackd listener and talker in their examples. The
talker looks like it is more complete and would be able to run waiting for
a listener to be connected. The listener expects the talker to be ready to
send and will die if the talker is not there... so it would be best
started by a connection application that knows what is there.

In the end, the Linux community would probably be more thankful for an
ALSA module. I think a Jack client would be easier to write though and
actually makese more sense in an ecosystem where connections come and go
and connections can go anywhere.

Just found:
https://github.com/audioscience/avdecc-lib
Which is a lib for IEEE1722.1 (AVB Device Enumeration, Discovery and
Control) that comes with a commandline controller. This allows Linux to
discover and control AVB end points... That is make connections. At least
a GUI cross point style control application would be very nice. But at
least the CLI utility would allow things to be usable.

An application like Qjackctl, Patchage or Ardour's Audio Connection
Manager that covered both internal jackd connections as well as external
AVB connections where an AVB jack client is started at connection time
would be nice. It looks like it would be possible with just the libs and
utilities listed here already.

I'll see how far I get when I have some HW to play with. I am sure I have
made it sound too easy by far.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net