[LAD] python-osc udp_client.UDPClient() - How do I figure out the reply-to IP?

Kevin Cole dc.loco at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 13:26:24 UTC 2016

The responses from everyone are improving my understanding... I think.
Thanks all.

On Wed, Jul 6, 2016 at 2:59 AM, Christopher Arndt <chris at chrisarndt.de> wrote:

> It's not uncommon for OSC software, that you have to specify client (a)
> address(es) in the server as well, since OSC, commonly using UDP as a
> transport, is only uni-directional, so to get bi-directional communication,
> every participant in an OSC communication has to be a server and a client.

This part, if I understand you correctly, I'm already doing. I'm
creating a poor emulator of the Symbolic Sound Paca DSP's OSC. The
idea is to send Paca-specific OSC messages to the emulator, and
receive Paca-specific OSC responses.

I have very limited access to the Paca and want to be able to continue
development when away from the machine. Paca, in addition to OSC,
speaks Bonjour / Zeroconf / Avahi.  I've set up a Raspberry Pi with a
known hostname and registered a Zeroconf service.  In my test code, I
query the network for the OSC zeroconf service, explicitly specifying
the permanent zeroconf name of the Pi, just as I do with the actual
Paca.  That works.

But the real, physical Paca figures out who called to it and responds
to the caller.  The caller has to use the fixed, permanent zeroconf
address of the Paca, but the Paca does not have a hardwired address
for who to respond to.