[LAD] Multiple JACK servers connected in one host?

Markus Seeber markus.seeber at spectralbird.de
Tue Mar 8 12:57:48 UTC 2016

On 03/07/2016 08:37 PM, Jonathan E. Brickman wrote:
[...]
> What is happening right now, is I have seven synth+filter chains, all
> run through the single JACK server, all feeding eventually into the one
> sound card.  I have more than ample CPU to run them all, but as you and
> others have explained, one JACK server is reaching its limits to handle
> them all because of the limits of the synchronous nature of everything.
> So what I intend to do, is to run all of the chains independently,
> asynchronously, on their own JACK servers, and then combine them all
> into a separate final which will connect to the sound card.  This is
> being done already with as many motherboards as desired, but I would
> like to do it within one very powerful box.

Since you did not give much case specific information about the topology
of your processing chain, it is hard to tell where the problem is in
your case and how to solve it. Not sure what's up about all this
asynchronous talk, maybe we talk past each other? (pun intended)
Maybe some visualisation of your jack graph could help, I think patchage
can export the structure of that into a dot/graphviz file, you could
attach that. Information about the strain each of these filters puts on
the CPU would be helpful as a hint too. That would not be the number at
the top of htop, but next to the process of each of these filters.

Except from that, Paul and Fons already made the point about how this is
supposed to work.

Best regards
  Markus