[LAD] Multiple JACK servers connected in one host?

Jonathan E. Brickman jeb at ponderworthy.com
Fri Mar 11 02:28:58 UTC 2016

>>> What is happening right now, is I have seven synth+filter chains, all
>>> run through the single JACK server, all feeding eventually into the one
>>> sound card.  I have more than ample CPU to run them all, but as you and
>>> others have explained, one JACK server is reaching its limits to handle
>>> them all because of the limits of the synchronous nature of everything.
>>> So what I intend to do, is to run all of the chains independently,
>>> asynchronously, on their own JACK servers, and then combine them all
>>> into a separate final which will connect to the sound card.  This is
>>> being done already with as many motherboards as desired, but I would
>>> like to do it within one very powerful box.
>> Maybe some visualisation of your jack graph could help, I think patchage
>> can export the structure of that into a dot/graphviz file, you could
>> attach that. Information about the strain each of these filters puts on
>> the CPU would be helpful as a hint too. That would not be the number at
>> the top of htop, but next to the process of each of these filters.
The DOT is attached.  At max load, the only CPU being stressed more than
5% is running just one of the Yoshimi processes, one taking high ranges
in patch SRO; this one CPU is kept at a steady 14% when SRO is sounding
with maximum notes.  There is no very significant CPU stress, just
maxing-out of JACK DSP.

--
Jonathan E. Brickman   jeb at ponderworthy.com   (785)233-9977
Hear us at http://ponderworthy.com -- CDs and MP3 now available!