[LAD] Multiple JACK servers connected in one host?

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Fri Mar 11 17:23:51 UTC 2016

On Fri, 11 Mar 2016, Jonathan Brickman wrote:

> No, I know very well that nothing in a single JACK system runs asynchronously.
> The point is that if a single JACK system cannot be flexible enough to use most
> of the computing power I have, because of the limitations of any synchronous
> design, multiple JACK systems will be employed within the one box, just as others
> already employ multiple JACK systems on multiple motherboards to serve the same
> purpose.  I am hoping to avoid having to run each JACK system in its own Docker
> container, and at least in theory, it should be possible to do this using
> netjack1, netjack2, or jacktrip, but it appears that either localhost may not
> have been tested very much as a network for these, or there may be another
> limitation somewhere of which I'm not aware which prevents that from working.

Using network to transfer final audio sounds "OK"ish. Using a net backend
would allow syncing media clock which would be the main problem where only
one of your jack servers has a "real" audio device. However, these net
backends do add latency. That is they tend to skip a buffer or defer their
use of the incoming audio data. You should be able to do this already
within an application.

Assuming you are using the same set of outputs for all of your chains,you
must be using some sort of mixer. I think I recall nonmixer. That
application may be forcing sync opperation on all your other apps/plugins.
(Your URL in your sig does not point to a web page that explains your
setup) It may be that the mixer/plugin host you are using does not lend
itself to async operation.

> In point of fact it works very nicely right now, as far as it can.  I have to
> admit that I don't care how JACK was intended to be used; I care merely what it
> can do.  Certainly the tools which the Wright brothers used in 1903 were never
> designed to build airplanes :-)

The Wright brothers did create their own tools as needed though. You may
need to do the same. The Wrights redesigned the airfoil and the tools to
test them, same with the propeller and the engine for that matter. It is
interesting to note that they already had a history of making their own
tools to build bicycles. So your assertion is not right, the tools the
wright bothers used were in fact made exactly for the creation of
aircraft.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net