[LAD] aBLETON lINK

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Tue Sep 20 09:59:04 UTC 2016

On 09/20/2016 07:03 AM, Patrick Shirkey wrote:

> Because netjack isn't good enough

correct.

jack can have a single timebase master and likewise netjack has a single
net-master.

Ableton-Link is decentralized: Multiple performers can interact with
each other on an equal level (no master/slave semantics).

It's not groundbreaking tech. Laptop orchestras and the likes have used
similar techniques since a while, but all prior-art that I know is ad-hoc.

As far as I know this is the only protocol concerning *musical-time*
that's spec'ed out, has a cross-platform reference implementation and
potential to find its way into hardware.

Feel free to criticize the protocol on a technical level or hunt for
bugs in the implementation ... or simply ignore it silently.

ciao,
robin