[LAD] aBLETON lINK

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Wed Sep 21 12:36:13 UTC 2016

On 09/21/2016 12:24 PM, Perry Nguyen wrote:
> I am still vaguely under the impression that if a Timebase master client is
> Link-capable then any transport-aware client (e.g. most LAU apps today)
> would be able to follow any tempo changes described by the master and
> therefore automatically have "Link support"

Theoretically, yes. A jack timebase master is supposed to translate
current absolute position to musical time. It's mainly useful for
tempo-maps.

Ableton Link does not provide an absolute reference, so the client would
have to maintain an internal count depending on transport state, infer
that information and keep track.

Still jack-position is versatile enough to represent information
provided by Link:

http://jackaudio.org/files/docs/html/structjack__position__t.html

The real question is if it's useful and how many jack-apps
can cope with potentially non-linearity WRT to absolute jack transport
sample time.

ciao,
robin