[LAD] Forgive me, for I have sinned, or: toss your Macintosh, as fast and wide as you can.

Hermann Meyer brummer- at web.de
Sun Dec 10 03:17:45 UTC 2017

Am 09.12.2017 um 23:59 schrieb Ralf Mardorf:
> On Sat, 9 Dec 2017 09:44:02 -0500, Paul Davis wrote:
>> ​As a plugin host, Carla attempts (and generally does) allow plugins
>> to use many different toolkits for their own GUIs.
> Do you think that Fons is an idiot, not being aware of this? The issue
> still remains, the more dedicated dependencies, the more possible
> issues. However, let's ignore the GUI issue, for what purpose are
> fluidsynth and linuxsampler dependencies of a host? Especially
> linuxsampler is a serious issue for a lot of distros, regarding the
> customized/invalid license. Actually the official Arch Linux community
> repository provides linuxsampler, but you unlikely could mention much
> more major distros supporting it by their official repositories.

As already mentioned, this are all optional dependency's. Even the samplers.
Think about yourself, for what should a audio plugin host use samplers??

> Keep in mind that some distro's, such as Arch Linux follow the KISS
> principle, IOW an app usually is build with the upstream defaults,
> without excluding features.

This is fully understandable, but, should this lead a developer to
disable features by default?
Even then, distro maintainer usually trying to enable as much features
as possible, even when they been disabled by default.