[LAD] Forgive me, for I have sinned, or: toss your Macintosh, as fast and wide as you can.

Markus Seeber markus.seeber at spectralbird.de
Sun Dec 10 19:37:08 UTC 2017

On 12/10/2017 03:31 PM, Paul Davis wrote:

> ​unortunately, several large toolkits of various types make this impossible
> because they themselves use dynamic (runtime-driven) loading of shared
> objects. GTK (and its dependency stack) is a particular offender there, but
> I believe the same is true of Qt. You can't statically link against this
> type of toolkit if your goal is to end up with a self-contained binary. the
> g* stack has made a few improvements in this area in recent years, but
> AFAIK it still isn't possible to build a self-contained binary. JUCE
> differs from this, I believe.​

That is exactly the problem with plugins. At the same time I'd say:
"Don't use these GUI librarys for plugins and do not load any plugin that exports these symbols."
and be done with it, let offensive software die. In my eyes writing a plugin GUI
in GTK/Qt is very bad practice for exactly these reasons.

Or even better: Do not run the plugin GUI inside the DAW procces. Surely this comes with
it's own challenges as plugin developers now have to develop IPC mechanisms inside their
plugins and a way to negotiate how the GUI process connects to the plugin DSP part etc... .

Or go the JACK way, but for a DAW we already know that this has it's own problems.