[LAD] Forgive me, for I have sinned, or: toss your Macintosh, as fast and wide as you can.

Markus Seeber markus.seeber at spectralbird.de
Sun Dec 10 20:26:55 UTC 2017

On 12/10/2017 08:43 PM, Gordonjcp wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 10, 2017 at 08:37:08PM +0100, Markus Seeber wrote:
>> On 12/10/2017 03:31 PM, Paul Davis wrote:

>>> ​unortunately, several large toolkits of various types make this impossible
>>> because they themselves use dynamic (runtime-driven) loading of shared
>>> objects. GTK (and its dependency stack) is a particular offender there, but
>>> I believe the same is true of Qt. You can't statically link against this
>>> type of toolkit if your goal is to end up with a self-contained binary. the
>>> g* stack has made a few improvements in this area in recent years, but
>>> AFAIK it still isn't possible to build a self-contained binary. JUCE
>>> differs from this, I believe.​
>> "Don't use these GUI librarys for plugins and do not load any plugin that exports these symbols."
>> and be done with it, let offensive software die. In my eyes writing a plugin GUI
>> in GTK/Qt is very bad practice for exactly these reasons.
> So what would you write it in instead?

You can still statically link for example with FLTK and derivatives or roll your
own. On Windows I think Steinberg even provides a GUI toolkit for VST plugins if
I remember correctly? Or go plain ImGui or plain OpenGL or whatever suits?

Maybe robin can give better recommendations since he seems to have done some work
on lv2 GUIs. (maybe see https://github.com/x42/robtk )