[LAD] Failed to connect to session bus for device reservation

Winfried Ritsch ritsch at iem.at
Tue Feb 21 21:41:00 UTC 2017

Hello,

On headless embedded computer with Debian I mostly start jackd (jack2) with
dbus session::

   dbus-run-session jackd -a a -d alsa ...

since I prefer using the debian packages before compiling on those slow
devices.

'man dbus-launch' says:

[...]
To start a D-Bus session within a text-mode session, do not use dbus-launch.
Instead, see dbus-run-session(1).
[...]

I put this in a systemd run script with all the ambidecoder and so on stuff I
need connected.

Any objections to this approach, since I am not really a systemd or dbus guru,
just got it from man pages.

mfg
 winfried

Am Dienstag, 14. Februar 2017, 16:39:30 CET schrieb Fokke de Jong:
> Hi Guys,
>
> I’m trying to set up a minimal audio system (without X11) based on the
> ubuntu mini-iso.
>
> When trying to start jack, i get this dbus error message:

> sudo /usr/bin/jackd -p512 -dalsa -r48000 -p64 -n2 -D -Chw:MADIFXtest
> -Phw:MADIFXtest jackdmp 1.9.10
> Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
> Copyright 2004-2013 Grame.
> jackdmp comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
> under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details
> no message buffer overruns
> no message buffer overruns
> no message buffer overruns
> JACK server starting in realtime mode with priority 10
> Failed to connect to session bus for device reservation Unable to autolaunch
> a dbus-daemon without a $DISPLAY for X11
>
> Audio device hw:MADIFXtest cannot be acquired...
> Cannot initialize driver
> JackServer::Open failed with -1
> Failed to open server
>

> I’ve seen others mention the error but have not really found a solution. I
> guess part of the problem is that I’m not really sure what the error means
> :-) So if anyone could be so kind to enlighten me?
>

> cheers,
> Fokke

---- Atelier Algorythmics ----
Winfried Ritsch